AK Steel IT Applications
Resource Request Time period needed: 12 to 24 months as a potential contract to hire.
Please send contact information to Lance Wulfers – [email protected]
This position is based either remote with some travel, in West Chester Ohio, or in Dearborn Michigan. Must be currently authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship and not require sponsorship in the future.
Job Description: BI & Data Engineer
AK Steel is seeking a Business Intelligence Engineer with a minimum of 10+ years of BI experience using Microsoft BI technologies. The agile BI engineer will provide strategic, analytical, and technical support for Microsoft business intelligence activities. This hands-on position will report to our IT manager/team lead and be part of the BI team developing, maintaining and operating the Enterprise Data Warehouse, related applications and BI reports. This includes ETL activities using Microsoft SSIS/SQL and reporting activities using SSRS and SSAS. This person will also be responsible for developing a working knowledge of AK Steel’s business model and database structures across multiple systems and corporate databases such as DB2, Oracle, and SQL Server. Lead design for new solutions and technologies as technologies evolve as well as mentor others within the team and/or business. Responsibilities & Required Skills:
- Clear understanding and experience in Data Warehousing/Dimension Modeling using the Kimball and Kimball-hybrid methodologies.
- Able to quickly grasp both technology and business concepts in an ever changing environment.
- Use current knowledge of business and technology to recommend systems and process improvements.
- Works directly with stakeholders, process specialists, and users to elicit and surface the unarticulated need.
- Elicits requirements using interviews, document analysis, scenarios, business analysis, and task and workflow analysis.
- Ability to create and effectively present to C Level Executives in a clear and concise manner.
- General understanding of .Net development and architecture as well as experience collaborating with .Net developers.
- Breakdown epics, develop user stories and drive detailed reporting requirements with necessary business rules for BI report development within an agile environment.
- Conduct requirements gathering sessions with business stakeholders, and develop business, technical requirements, and technology direction with the BI team.
- Understand data profiling and data quality/testing concepts.
- Create data models to show key components of source systems and perform profiling of source data.
- Understanding of SQL Databases and full understanding of SQL features for optimal performance.
- Design and develop enterprise and departmental business intelligence, data warehousing and reporting solutions.
- Critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts, abstract up from low-level information to a general understanding, and works with users to uncover unmet business needs.
- Proven experience in database development with T-SQL, Performance Tuning, stored procedure creation, etc.
- Expert Skills in SSIS (SQL Server Integration Services) and SSAS (SQL Server Analysis Services).
- Create and support advanced reports using SSAS and SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Services).
- Create SQL Server Agent jobs for process automation and manage SQL services.
- Clear database/Business Intelligence development using the Microsoft BI Tools, which include SSIS, SSAS/OLAP, SSRS, MDX Programming, PowerPivot, Power BI, etc.
- Communicate technical solutions to non-technical end-users.
- Plan and implement regression testing as source systems evolve.
- Develop documentation of systems, policies and procedures.
- Ability to mentor others in technical expertise and problem solving.
- Collaborating with the BI team to enhance the team’s knowledge and skills and grow the team’s impact.
- Excellent communication skills – both verbal and written (able to communicate with business users to gather requirements and document the solutions provided).
- Manufacturing industry experience is a plus.
- 10+ years of experience as a BI Developer including data warehousing and business intelligence tools.
- Experience working on data warehouse deployments and leading deployment efforts.
- Expert knowledge of Microsoft BI technology (SSRS, SSIS, SSAS).
- Expert knowledge of database design, SQL, data warehousing.